Facebook Cover Photo: Guidelines
Having a Facebook page is ideal for communicating with your readers.
Setting up a cover photo is a way to make your Facebook page yours. Make it fit with the style of your blog.
It would be easy if you could just use your blog header for your Facebook cover photo, maybe you’re lucky and it’ll work. I haven’t had luck with it though and have had to switch a few things up.
First of all, the dimensions are important to know.
Facebook Cover Photo Dimensions
Facebook’s cover photo dimensions are 851px wide x 315px high.
And there’s a little area in the bottom left that you’re going to want to leave open (marked by the big red X in the below graphic), or at least free of ‘important information’. This is where your Facebook profile picture sits on the cover photo and will hide anything behind it.
If you want to get more technical to know exactly where that profile picture sits. The dimensions according to Facebook of the profile picture is 160x160px and it sits 23px from the left edge of your cover photo and 210px down from the top edge. This will give you the exact placement so you can be absolute sure of what you’ll see when you upload it into Facebook.
Facebook Cover Photo Guidelines
Facebook, of course has guidelines for what you can or cannot include in your cover photo. Basically, they don’t want you to be obviously selling yourself using the cover photo.
Some important ones you’ll want to remember as to what to NOT include in your Facebook cover photo:
- Website/Blog URL (Such as: bloggingwithkids.com is not acceptable to have on the cover photo)
- Contact Information, such as address, phone number or email address (Example: email@example.com is not acceptable to have included in the cover photo!)
- Referencing “Like” or “Share” (Don’t use “Like Us” in your cover photo!)
- See all unacceptable cover photo guidelines at: What are the guidelines to my page’s cover photo?
Add your cover photo to your Facebook page!
- Go to your Facebook Page
- Click on “Add a Cover” or “Change Cover” (it will be where your Facebook Cover Photo is, or should be.)
- Choose to “Upload Photo” (or choose from an existing album on your page.)
- Choose your photo.
- You now have a chance to reposition your photo if its not exactly the right dimensions.
- Click Save.
Do you have any additional Facebook Cover Photo tips?